Wednesday, December 5, 2007

New Room

Drew moved into a new room today. He now has a window view so that he can look out and see the world! His old room was placed next to the operating/delivery room where they admit new babies into the intensive care unit. Apparantly they are expecting a high number of preemies to be admitted into the intensive care unit and they need the beds that are closest to the operating/delivery room. Yesterday was a bitter sweet day for us and Drew. We found out the results on the most recent head ultra sound which showed that the bleeding in the left ventricle is gone and the bleeding in the right ventricle is breaking down and subsiding! It was a huge blessing to hear that wonderful news. The bitter part of the day was when Drews lungs took a step back and he required more oxygen from the ventilator in order to oxygenate his body. His chest x-rays showed his lungs getting progressively worse throughout the day. During the night they tweaked the settings on the machine and tried various techniques to better suction out his lungs. Thankfully he is doing better today and we think he is loving his new room with the window. He has a long way to go before he will be able to breathe on his own but we hope that he will progress from this moment forward. Tomorrow we will know about the results from the heart echo which will tell us if the medication (indocin) helped to close the artery near his heart. When that artery closes completely it should help with his circulation and overall oxygenation. We miss him every night when we have to leave the hospital but it is so wonderful to spend time with him and we are so blessed with amazing nurses and doctors who care so much about our sweet son. We love Drew!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Eric, Jenn and Drew,
I wanted to tell you how happy I am that Drew is doing so well. He is in my prayers everynight. I can't wait for the day that Drew and Kevin can meet.
Love you guys,
Brittany

erictowner said...

Hi Eric and Jenn...I have tried to be brave and tuff..but Drew just melts my heart and fills my eyes with tears each time I log on... I can't imagine how difficult it must be for the two of you. Your love for Drew and kindness towards each other is an inspiration. Eric I told you that you would never know how much your Mother and I loved you until you had a child of your own. I just did'nt expect our Grandson to have the same affect on me. He is so precious and we pray for the three of you continually. I know Father in Heaven is in control here and Drews fate is in his hands. It's just so hard to except his will for him, whatever that may be...I like you want to have him for a full and complete life here on this earth. I love you son..as you know more than all the stars in the sky...and I always will..little Drew too. Love, Dad

sherri9008 said...

You don't know me and I barely know you, but I am a neighbor of Scott and Sherri Cook. I just wanted to let you know that your little Drew is in my prayers every day. I look forward to reading about his every move and his tiny steps of progress. He is such a tough little guy. I also wanted to let you know how impressed I am with the two of you as his biggest fans. I have had a lot of practice as a mom, but I know I couldn't be half as strong as you are. Drew will pull through this tough time - if not just with the love of his incredible earthly parents. Kiss the back of his sweet little neck for me and know that the three of you are in my prayers. aml, Sherri

Anika said...

Cook!... Oh my gosh honey! I was just thinking about you the other day. I just found your blog through Laur's. I am so glad to see that your baby is doing much better. Our prayers are with your little family. If there is anything we can do... let us know. Email me at anika_allred3@hotmail.com. Anyway... our blog is nateandanika.blogspot.com. Love you! Anika