Sunday, February 10, 2008

Back On Track



Drew's laser therapy on Friday went very well. He had a pretty stressful day and had to go through a few changes that he didn't like at all. His feedings had to be stopped before the surgery and Drew had to be placed back on the ventilator because of the anesthetics that pretty much knocked him out. It was a long day for Drew and for us. Seeing him just lay there almost lifeless due to the anesthetics and back on the ventilator was a little hard for us. The laser therapy lasted around and hour and a half and the doctor told us that it went really well. We will learn more about the results from the treatment over the next couple of weeks. Drew took a while to wake up afterwards and he was pretty groggy when we left him for the night. When we came back on Saturday morning the nurse told us that Drew woke up around midnight and that he got frustrated with the endotracheal tube so he just pulled it out! Just like that he was off of the ventilator and back on the low flow nasal cannula! Drew makes us laugh, he is a determined little guy and there is no stopping him. Well last night Drew was back to normal and decided to take the entire bottle for the first time! He has taken whole bottles for nine out of the last eleven feeds!! It is hilarious to watch him wake up about fifteen minutes before feeding time and he starts screaming for his milk. We call Drew our little piggy because he kinda snorts when he first starts feeding and he goes crazy trying drink the whole thing at first. After about twenty minutes he finishes and usually falls asleep, but today he was wide awake for five hours and demanded that we hold the binky in his mouth and sing him songs. He pretty much is going to get his way with everything, we figure that he deserves whatever he wants:) Well if Drew keeps this up we are told that he will probably be home within the next few weeks and we will get to be real parents! That will be an awesome day, we are so blessed and we love our little guy so so much.

11 comments:

LTC said...

I can't even describe how excited I am to hear that you are hearing the "home" words from the NICU! I am so amazed by his progress...he looks like he is getting big...especially in his vent. picture!
You guys are amazing! What a little miracle!

Tati said...

Hey Jenn! This is Tati (Banks) from high school. I found your blog from Shayla's page. Your son is adorable! I really admire you and your husband's faith and strength. What a fighter you guys have! Drew is a modern day miracle. Congratulations on your baby!

Kelly Young said...

We are so happy to see drews progress over the past few months, he is definatley a miracle baby. He has sure taught me a lesson in overcoming adversity. We hope to see you guys and the new addition soon.

Jordan Cook said...

jen and eric i love you guys and drew is a litte tyke just like his father! ha ha im keeping you in my prayers. cant wait to hang out with drew when i get home! he's going to love me :)

Natalie said...

That is such great news! I think about you guys all the time. Drew is such a fighter, and it's great to hear good news about him! I love ya Jenn!!

Anonymous said...

We are so happy for the fantastic news. Drew is amazing. His parents are too! It is such a relief to start hearing talk of sending you home.

Quela said...

I'm so glad to hear everything is going well and that Drew is progressing. He is such a little cutie. We love ya!

Jason and Tawni said...

Eric and Jenn:
My name is Tawni Smith and I stumbled across James and Heather's blog and then I saw the link to your blog. I went all the way down to the bottom of the page so that I could read the story from the very beginning and I am sitting her typing with tears streaming down my face. I am so proud of you and your faith. I am also so proud of your darling son Drew and the amazing fight that he has put up. The pictures of your son in the NICU are all too familiar because my husband and I have our little baby girl in there as well. Stella was born 10 weeks early at 2 pounds 4 ounces which sounded really little at the time but now that I have seen Drew and read his story I am amazed! Keep up the faith and support and remember to lean on each other. I will pray for you and your cute little family.

Warmly,
Tawni Smith
https://www.smithfamilysynopsis.blogspot.com

Danny, Andrea, Connor and Lizzie said...

I'm so happy that they are saying the word "home" to you guys. I just wanted to let you know that your family has been in our thoughts and prayers. Love you guys!
Danny, Andrea and Connor Heid

Rachel said...

Drew looks so good!!! What a little chunk he is getting to be!! I'm so happy for you guys to take home your little miracle in a few weeks. It is truly amazing to see how far he has come!! :) We will continue to pray for his progress.

Jordan & Brooke Brady said...

Hey jenn. It's brooke (wilson) from high school. I saw your blog on Tati's page. I just wanted to say hi and congrats on your baby. Megan Neilson has told me about him. I hope things are going good for you and it sounds like they are. Anyway, I married Jordan Brady...and i know you guys were friends at SLCC. We are always wondering how you guys are doing...since we both know you. Anyway, i hope everything is going well. Keep us posted!